The MacArthur Inn sits in historic Narrows, Va which was settled around 1778. The MacArthur Inn was constructed in 1939 and first opened in 1940 as Narrows Hotel. In 1941 a naming contest was held to find a new name for Narrows Hotel. President Roosevelt won when he suggested that it be called The MacArthur Inn named after General MacArthur. In 1966 the inn turned into a nursing home called The MacArthur House, and they provided a continued care community, In 1985 the nursing home turned into an assisted living center. It was an independent living community that provided safe and easy-maintenance living for seniors who could still live independently. In 1990 the assisted living center closed and the property became abandoned. In August of 2000 the town of Narrows began updating its Comprehensive Plan. In October of 2001 the town adopted this plan and decided to renovate the historic MacArthur House to increase opportunities for the town. The MacArthur House was in process of being renovated by a private investor to possibly become a museum, small office spaces, or efficiency apartments. None of these ever went through, and the inn became abandoned once more. It was restored to what is now the MacArthur Inn in 2008.
Sensabaugh Tunnel, located outside of Kingsport, TN, has become a local favorite over the years. No one really knows the history surrounding the paranormal phenomena that can be experienced within the abandon tunnel due to the lack of hard evidence. However, once in a while one may come across someone who recalls events surrounding the location which occurred long ago. Though no one really knows, the story is thrilling. There are multiple stories which tell of a father going insane, slaughtering his family, and dumping their bodies within the tunnel; a pregnant woman being kidnapped and murdered within the tunnel; and unmarked graves of Russian workers who lost their lives during construction of the tunnel within the concrete itself. The most popular tale tells of a prominent family, the Sensabaughs, who owned a home near the now abandon tunnel. The family was kind and generous, and were always willing to lend a hand to those in need. This was the case when a homeless traveler wondered upon their home. The family offered the man shelter and meals daily in exchange for work. Soon, possessions belonging to the family began missing. Enraged that the man had between Mr. Sensabaugh’s trust, he grabbed his pistol and threatened the man with his life. Defenseless, the man scooped up their newborn child, using the baby has a human shield until the gun was placed down. In a mad dash, the hobo fled from the house and ran into the tunnel, where he drowned the child in the stream which runs through the tunnel before he was shot and killed himself by Mr. Sensabaugh. Let’s clear up one thing. There is another tunnel located near to Sensabaugh which cars may drive through. This is NOT Sensabaugh. Some refer to it as Clicke Tunnel - others call it River Tunnel, which emerged from the creek that floods into the tunnel during rain; ultimately this same one which flows through Sensabaugh Tunnel. Activity has been reported within this tunnel as well, most popular being a Black Aggie, EVP’s, and phantom sounds. If you choose to explore Clicke Tunnel, caution is advised. It is a working tunnel; traffic passes through it regularly.
Located in Louisville, KY, an gothic structure looms over the sleepy town, mourning the loss of the thousands that have passed within its walls. Unbelievably, the location which has been named The Scariest Place on Earth, was crowned Waverly Hill due to its peaceful nature. When the tuberculosis outbreak reached epidemic proportions in the early 1900’s, the Board of Tuberculosis Hospitals kept the name. Waverly Hills Sanatorium opened its doors July 26, 1910 as a two story structure capable of holding 50 patients. As the sick count soared, the clinic was forced to treat 140 patients at a time. Maxing far past its limit, a bill was passed in 1924 allowing a state-of-the-art complex to be constructed. Waverly Hills Sanatorium was quickly erected into the building we see today. Opening again in 1926, the hospital was considered to be the most modern and well-equipped treatment facility of its time.
Death count within the hospital is unknown, though it is positive it reached well into the thousands – some estimated predict as high as 68,000. It is known that there were at least ten thousand deaths during the sanatoriums first three years of operation. Since little was known about the disease, no antibiotics had been discovered and doctors relied on natural remedies including fresh air and plenty of bed rest. Patients spent their time on open areas during all seasons. These areas, known as the Solarium, consisted of open, oversized windows which were never covered. The electric blanket was developed to keep the ill warm while receiving treatment. When health decreased, medical procedures increase. When TB began effecting bones, joints, skin and eyes, patients were subjected to Heliotherapy: a procedure in which hot lamps producing ultraviolent radiation. Often, the TB bacteria settled within a patients lung, causing hazardous breathing conditions. Pneumothorax, a surgical procedures which collapsed and deflated an area of the lung, was a popular treatment. This closed opening which the disease had ate away and gave the lung a change to heal. Thoracoplasty was far more involved and dangerous. When the disease had deteriorated potions of the long, a doctor would open the chest, remove on average 7-8 ribs. Since all l ribs could not be removed at once, patient underwent multiple surgeries. Once all ribs had been removed, infected areas of the lung were removed in a procedure called Lobectomy.
Through everything, many patients did not survive. To keep morale up as the hospital was losing at least one patient per hour, The Body Chute was implemented. Once the morgue was filled, bodies were taken out the back entrance and discretely sent to the bottom of the hill via a supply tunnel. Gurneys placed on rails similar to that of a railcar were carried by a wrench-type system to the end where hearses/trains awaited the corpses.
When antibiotics were discovered in the 1950s, the sanatorium was no longer needed and was shut down in 1961 to reopen as Woodhaven Geriatrics Sanatorium. The state of Kentucky closed the facility after allegations of mistreatment and inhumane experienced has been proved.
Reports of satanic activity surfaced and in the mid-1990s a homeless man and his dog who frequented the premises were found dead in an elevator shaft, believed to have been sacrificed.
Claims of activity are numerous, ranging from phantom sounds to full apparitions.